How to go to Nusa Penida
From Bali to Nusa Penida, the best way is by taking a speedboat. Boats to Nusa Penida or ferries to Nusa Penida are easy to find. These transfer services are available from several different locations in Bali, including Padang Bai, Kusamba and Sanur.
bali to nusa penida routes
How long would it takes from Bali to Nusa Penida
Depending on which location you are in and what sort of transportation you are using, the journey typically takes between 30 minutes to 2 hours from Bali to Nusa Penida. The ferry journey from Padang Bai to Nusa Penida takes approximately 2 hours, while by speedboat is around 30 to 40 minutes.
If you are traveling from Sanur, the estimated travel time by speedboat to Nusa Penida usually takes around 30-45 minutes or up to 1 hour with ferries. All of the above are depending on the speed of the boat as well as depending on the weather and sea conditions.
You have another option to leave from Kusamba. You can find Kusamba port not far from Padang Bai, around 20 minutes’ drive. This port is the shortest distance from Bali to Nusa Penida. However, from most places in Bali, the best port to go to Nusa Penida is Sanur because the area is located to the most popular destinations in Bali, such as Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud, Pecatu, and the Airport.
If you want to bring a vehicle to Nusa Penida, the only option you’ll have is by taking the slow ferry from Padang Bai. The vehicle rates start from IDR 50,000. These slow ferries take 2 hours from Padang Bai to Nusa Penida.
With several different ports in Bali and three different ports in Nusa Penida, you have some options for this route.
We also provide pick-up services from the hotel where you stay.
- If you are staying at Uluwatu, Nusa Dua or Jimbaran, it is best to choose Sanur as your starting point for Nusa Penida. It would take approximately 1 hour to travel by car from these areas to Sanur via the toll road.
- If you have just landed at the airport or are staying in Kuta – Seminyak, you will need less than 1 hour to arrive at Sanur.
- Guests living in Canggu may need around 1 hour to get to the nearest harbour of Sanur, depending on the traffic in Canggu.
- If you stay in Ubud, you have 2 choices, either to Sanur or to Padang Bai, both are around 2 hours drive.
- If you’re coming from Sidemen or around Padang Bai, it’s easier to make Padang Bai or Kusamba your starting point to Nusa Penida. You will need between 20 – 30 minutes to drive from Sidemen to Padang Bai or Kusamba.
- Book in advance: Nusa Penida is an incredibly popular destination, so it’s important to book your accommodation, ferry tickets, and activities ahead of time. This will guarantee that you get the best deals and avoid disappointment when you arrive.
- Pack light: Pack light and bring only the essentials to make your trip more enjoyable.
- Bring cash: Make sure you bring enough cash to cover your expenses.
- With stormy weather and high waves, the ride on speedboats can be quite rough and feel bumpy. You may consider choosing large boats or ferries if you are prone to getting seasick on boat rides.
- It is advisable for pregnant women not to take speedboats. Bumpy rides and big waves can harm you and your child easily. It is better to be on the safe side. Alternatively, pregnant women can choose large boats or ferries if they want to go around for a while and explore.
- Pack a first-aid kit. A good first-aid kit is an absolute must. This includes a good selection of medication for traveling: remedies against seasickness, pain medication, medicine for children etc.
- Avoid an empty stomach during the boat trip. We would advise you to pack a meal or snacks at home.